Business Forum | Small Business Forums | Entrepreneur Forums

Forums  |   Register  |   Login  |   Forum FAQ

You need to be a registered member to use our business forums.
Register or Log In Now

Internet Marketing - The Overlooked Gold Mine

Printable Version
All Forums >> Businesses For Sale >> Buying a Business >> Internet Marketing - The Overlooked Gold Mine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Internet Marketing - The Overlooked Gold Mine - 4/29/2013 9:13:48 AM   
awanderson8

Why are so few people on here interested in starting an online business? They are ridiculously cheap to start and you can scale them to make as much money as you want. The best part is that you don't need to quit your day job. Grow your online business in the evenings and on the weekends until it is making enough to replace your full-time job.

I'm not trying to make it sound easy. It's not. However, it is VERY possible for those that put in a consistent effort.

One of the biggest and most frequently asked questions around the forum is "How do I get started?". Most people, buy a "Make money online" program, look through it half way, and then decide that it's a scam.

Virtually every 'Make Money Online' course, ebook, website, blog, etc. will explain that the goal of internet marketing is to have a system that will make you money, and will go something like this:
-find a product or offer you would like to promote.
-create articles promoting that product or offer.
-get traffic to those articles.

Laid out like that it really looks simple doesn't it? But the process looks more like this:
-find a product to sell.
-set up a website targeted for people who want to buy that product.
-entice visitors to submit email address for newsletter.
-use an email autoresponder to send series of newsletters promoting the paid product.
-set up a traffic campaign to get visitors to your website who want to buy that product.

Those 5 basic steps give you a powerful formula to make money online as an affiliate marketer. At the basic level, it really is that simple. That's why online marketing appeals so much to the 'Get Rich Quick' mentality. The problem is that "simple" does not necessarily mean "easy". Where it gets more complicated is in making sure each of those steps are done effectively.

This is where a lot of lazy people jump off the bandwagon and start yelling SCAM. As I said above, "simple" isn't the same thing as "easy". While the 'Get Rich Quick' books do overhype how easy it is to get results, it's still a fact that this is a proven system.

If you really want to learn how to make money online, you need to ignore the hype. I know some people will disagree, but breaking into Internet Marketing and being successful is really hard to do, and takes a lot of determination. It's not easy, and anyone that tells you otherwise is selling something.

I see too many people trying to just make money. They're only in it for the money and only want to make some sales. This is a big problem. Why?

No one comes online looking to randomly buy things. Everyone is looking for an answer to a problem they're having or looking for a solution to something. Remember.. your job is not to make a sale but to solve someone's problem and in turn.. that is what will make you a sale.

So what do you need to get started?

#1: Research or Find a Mentor.

Anyone can search google for answers to making money online, but you've got to have an understanding of what you're doing or you'll always be running around searching for answers.

#2: Create a Plan.

Brainstorm! You need to have a mapped out vision in your head of your business. Do you plan on purchasing a domain and starting a product on dog health care, buying domains and selling them, selling home made materials on e-bay, writing articles, etc. There are so many options out there for what you want to do, but you've got to have an idea and a plan before you can start making money. Brainstorm in your head and think to yourself..

"What am I good at?"
"What am I knowledgeable about?"
"What is something I really enjoy doing/talking about?"
"How do I plan on providing information on this product?"

#3: You need a website.

Unless you plan on marketing to forums and groups (which isn't a very well played out business plan) you need to establish a website. Before you start thinking "I have no money for a website". You can always start a blogger blog.

If you're looking at starting a website, I would highly recommend WordPress for the Content Management System (CMS) and Host Gator for hosting. The options of managing/running your website are great and at such a low cost, it's hard for me to refuse Host Gator when ever I plan on getting a website.

Hosting at Host Gator starts out at $4.95 so this is great for a beginner's website or just starting out.

Now comes the part I had trouble with when I began. Website Design/Website creation. I am not a HTML savvy guy.. believe me, nor am I a programmer. While I know there are many places where you can hire people to create your website, I believe everyone should learn to create their own material at one point or another.

Don't be scared of learning the technology! Anybody that knows how to use google and youtube can figure out the basics of building a Wordpress website in 5-10 hours.

You need a website with an easy design/layout because anything hard to read or something that doesn't look professional will have a much lower conversion rate than what you hope for.

Remember, when you're writing your sales copy/creating your product... you're speaking out to people that have a problem and are in need of a solution.
Make Money E-Book - People are broke.. who wants to be broke?
Train Your Dog E-Book - A loud and undisciplined dog is a danger to you and everyone around you.
A Guide To Smart Car Buying - Learn to save gas and to save earth

Do you see what I am saying? You have to speak to people in the certain niche you're trying to sell in, because you're trying to fix a problem someone has or answer a question that someone has.

In my opinion, fear and hype are two of the biggest sellers there are.

Trying to sell a vehicle? Examine your audience.. a young man will be interested in something fast and loud and will want to impress the ladies in his hot new ride. You have to know who you're selling to and get them hyped, because a hungry crowd always comes back for more. Look for "addicts" and cater to them.

BTW, I am not saying a website is the only way you will ever make money period, I am just saying that this is probably the best way to create an "automated" source of income.

#4: Patience & Consistent Action.

If making money online was as easy as snapping your fingers.. everyone would be millionaires.
So many people quit trying once they find out how much work is actually involved in creating an online business and being good at what you do. You have got to keep consistent.

You've got a killer website but no sales, why not?
Get inside your market's head and view your website not from your point of view but theirs. Do not think "how will this make me money" but "will this solve my problem"?

Be consistent and always add new fresh content and possibly new products to keep your customers/readers coming back for more. A hungry crowd can never get enough no matter how much they spend.

#5: Email Lists!

If someone opts in to your e-mail list.. chances are.. they're interested in what you've got or curious. A lot of websites don't offer a chance to opt in to an e-mail list and a lot of money is left "on the table" as a result. A lot of people who see a website once won't purchase something because they simply don't know the source. They say that someone needs to see a brand 7 times before they trust it, so the same principle applies here. Get your visitors to opt into your list and treat them right. Look up list building around the forum, and look up psychological triggers if you really want to make things interesting.

Remember that Internet Marketing is a marathon, not a 50 yard dash. If you're new to the game, then I don't recommend purchasing any products, because I guarantee you that a lot the information you need to get started can be found on this forum.

The more consistent you are, the more determined you are, the more it will show. Don't give up just because you don't "hit the lottery" over night, because like I said.. if making money online was truly easy, then everyone would be doing it.

It's as simple as that. Remember, simple does not equal easy. Everything worth having requires hard work. If you have any questions just leave a response in this thread. If you have a little bit of money to invest in mastering the art internet marketing shoot me an email (awanderson8@gmail.com) and I can recommend a couple of programs that will greatly reduce the learning curve.

The most important thing is to not sit around dreaming about the day you will have a successful business. Make it happen TODAY. Go out and take action.

< Message edited by awanderson8 -- 4/29/2013 9:14:58 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Internet Marketing - The Overlooked Gold Mine - 8/8/2013 4:18:46 AM   
michellepinto

That's a great piece. Very comprehensive. Good job.

Boston Analytics- http://bostonanalytics.com/

(in reply to awanderson8)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> Businesses For Sale >> Buying a Business >> Internet Marketing - The Overlooked Gold Mine Page: [1]
Jump to:

Find great franchise opportunities that fit your budget!

Franchises under $10,000
Franchises under $20,000
Franchises under $50,000
Franchises under $70,000
Franchises under $100,000