Business Forum | Small Business Forums | Entrepreneur Forums

Forums  |   Register  |   Login  |   Forum FAQ

You need to be a registered member to use our business forums.
Register or Log In Now

What's in a Name?

Printable Version
All Forums >> Starting Your Business >> Starting a Business >> What's in a Name? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's in a Name? - 4/26/2012 11:53:10 AM   
alanm

Seeing as we are a full service communications agency, we often put ourselves in a position where we assess the key messages and different branding strategies our clients use at face value. How would a potential customer feel about the colour of your logo? The phrasing of your mission statement? Or even your display picture on Twitter? Often, said clients spend so much time being saturated in branding habits they have developed that they fail to make room for different interpretations. You see, we can fix that. Sometimes this means being blunt and breaking your heart by telling you that, "Bob's Awesome Palace of Drinks and Fun Times" is a terrible name for a martini lounge...

Names! There's one for you. I apologize but there are just so many terrible and misleading company names out there. If you're a company trying to rise above the competition, your name would be a good place to start. One of the most important lessons I learned in my first year communications course during my undergrad was "We all judge the book by its cover". If the only exposure some of your potential clients have is a 4 second drive by; your logo, ad or storefront will be the deal braker! No one will give a chance if their first impression is terrible. When was the last time you thought, "Oh, well that logo looks terrible, the colours are bad, the message in awkward but heck- I'll buy that shirt because there might be more to it." Never!

This post was inspired by some signage I saw on my walk in this morning. 'Sinful Pleasures', my first thought: "Wow, this is an odd place for a sex shop..."only it wasn't a sex shop, it was a catering company. Really? Not only would I have never know that if I didn't walk closer to read the small print, but now that I know it's a catering company I have no desire to order food from them. I mean it could be great food, but why take the risk when Chef Antonio's Full Service Catering is just down the street? So please, ask people what they think about your name, branding and colour scheme. Or better yet, ask a professional!

Put it this way: if you're a Day Care but your name has people assume you're a Military Boot Camp...Houston, we've got a problem.
Post #: 1
RE: What's in a Name? - 11/2/2012 9:58:12 PM   
saliviya

These are some smart examples you quoted here. People keep the names of their business ventures to give a catchy and attractive feel to people but somehow it does just the opposite effect leading them to find reasons in their own services for any fault. So it is better to either keep coming up with a name on consulting with someone professionally or have public opinion on the name you decide howsoever.

(in reply to alanm)
Post #: 2
RE: What's in a Name? - 11/27/2012 9:55:06 PM   
Tellie1990

ORIGINAL: saliviya

These are some smart examples you quoted here. People keep the names of their business ventures to give a catchy and attractive feel to people but somehow it does just the opposite effect leading them to find reasons in their own services for any fault. So it is better to either keep coming up with a name on consulting with someone professionally or have public opinion on the name you decide howsoever.

I agree. Catchy names does not always guarantee business success. The brand recall could be both positive and negative. Business name is important because it can make or break the entire business. It's something that should be thought of carefully.

The golden rule for every business man is this: “Put yourself in your customer’s place. – Orison Swett Marden

(in reply to saliviya)
Post #: 3
RE: What's in a Name? - 3/20/2023 1:25:58 AM   
ChristinePeter

One's identity can be conveyed by their name, which can also be used to differentiate them from other people. It also has the potential to convey a great deal of significance and meaning.

(in reply to alanm)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> Starting Your Business >> Starting a Business >> What's in a Name? Page: [1]
Jump to:

Find great franchise opportunities that fit your budget!

Franchises under $10,000
Franchises under $20,000
Franchises under $50,000
Franchises under $70,000
Franchises under $100,000