Top 10 Home-Based Business Opportunities
In today's world, the Holy Grail that many people seek is the opportunity to work from home. Whether you do not have a means of getting to work, would like to spend more time with your family, or want to take a few years off from working in the corporate world, working from home is an attractive idea. Who wouldn't want a job that you could do from the comfort of your own familiar surroundings? However, there are many scams out there that try to entice you to sign up, sometimes requiring a payment to do so. Here are some of the real home-based business opportunities that you could implement in your home to make you a profit.
1. Pet-based - There are many different ways you can go in the pet based market at home. If you are comfortable interacting with other people's pets, you could become a pet sitter. If you would rather make products for pets, this is also an option. Not only are there businesses that will pay you to put together their pet products, but you could also come up with your own idea, produce it and sell it from home.
2. Home-based Debt Collection Agency - Though you might not get the most pleasant response from people when you call, debt collection is a necessary and profitable business, and can easily be done from the home environment with a landline phone and an internet connection. It is important to become educated in the different laws in this area before going into this particular home-based business. There are many books that you can read to help assist you in starting this business.
3. E-Bay - You could start a business that assists people with inventory control or listing their items on eBay. If people are looking to list more than just a few items and would like to have their own eBay store, you could give them pointers on the best ideas to make the most profit, and be a general resource for them to use when they needed help with something eBay related. A fee could be charged for your services.
4. Professional / Home Organizer - Many people just do not have the time to organize their own belongings. This could be people within an office needing help organizing their files or a busy mom needing assistance in cleaning out her closets and other areas for a garage sale.
5. Professional Scrapbooking - One of the most popular hobbies of many people, especially women, is scrapbooking. If you have children, scrapbooking every moment of their lives will give you something to cherish in the years to come. As this hobby has become more and more popular, it has also become more and more of a lucrative market to be involved in. There are plenty of people who simply do not have the time to make their own scrapbooks. If you offered a home-based business that offered people a chance to have their memorabilia scrapbooked, you could potentially earn a lot of money.
6. Catering Services - It has now become a trend in some societies to have many social parties, either for business or pleasure, and usually those parties are catered. While most people would think that catering is only for receptions or large functions, this is not the case. Many times you could be catering a party with as little as 6 to 8 people. If you have a history in the food or restaurant business and enjoy designing menus and preparing food for large parties, then catering from home might be the right business for you.
7. Education - If you have the certification and qualifications, taking an education job could be very reliable and profitable. Now that technology is at the forefront of just about everything, including education, teaching from home is quite a feasible option. Many universities and colleges offer classes through pod casts or video software and online classes. If you wish to work one on one to educate students, you could work with the local schools and school district to become a tutor in the subject of your choice.
8. Coaching - There are many types of jobs available in the coaching area. One great example is in the weight loss field. Many people are choosing online routes of losing weight, such as joining websites that offer phone support or support through message boards. By making yourself a weight loss coach, you could give support to people who need it while trying to win the weight loss battle. There are many other choices besides weight loss. If you are involved in a home business, you could become a sales coach for other people entering the business. If you are a person with a great ability to motivate people, then coaching is for you.
9. Dietary Consultant - As mentioned previously, one of the hottest markets out there today is the weight loss market. There are many people who are looking online for menus or better options for having a healthy lifestyle. Some people do not know what decisions to make when it comes to their nutritional decisions, and this is an area where a home-based business could come in handy. If you have any knowledge about nutrition and healthy living and are interested in giving advice and suggestions to those who need it, then you would make a fantastic dietary consultant. If you have any knowledge of medical issues that could be improved with nutrition, this would help as well, since many people changing their eating habits could be doing so to improve their health. Either way, it is a profitable market!
10. Sewing / Alterations - Unfortunately, many people are growing up now not knowing how to even sew on a button! This could turn out to be very helpful for those who do know how to sew and enjoy doing it! There is a large amount of money available in the area of sewing and alterations. Not only do people need simple jobs done such as repairing tears or sewing on buttons, but also more complex jobs like making clothes or other items from scratch, or having a dress altered to fit just perfectly. These are all things that can be done within the comfort of your home, and you will most likely gain repeat customers!
Keep in mind that there are also home-based franchise opportunities out there. These are not the same as the home-based business opportunities. With most home-based business opportunities, you may have to pay an up front cost of some sort, but most of the time you will not have to pay the ongoing royalty fees that are associated with a home based franchise opportunity. With home-based business opportunities, you are paying for a certain package of goods and/or services with the expectation that there will be a demand in that area and that it will be profitable. Similarly, with home-based franchise business opportunities, you will own and operate your business from home. You will be responsible for paying a fee in the beginning to the franchising company. In addition to this initial fee, you will also be paying an ongoing fee that is decided upon at the time of the agreement. By going the franchise route, this gives you the opportunity to use their brand and trademarks, which can be quite beneficial in bringing you business. Unlike other franchise businesses like fast food franchise restaurants and franchise convenience stores, you will have more flexibility to run things the way you want.
If you do not have any specialized training, some jobs may be harder for you to perform. However, some of them require minimal training, and you could even get some of the training over the Internet. If you are looking to get involved in a work from home business, these are some of the best options out there.
Click here to search to our Business For Sale Listings.
Click here to view our Business Franchise Opportunities.
Click here to return to our Entrepreneur Business Start Up Guide.